by Debb Schnoor
Snowboard & Boot Summer Storage
1) Skis and Snowboards should be tuned BEFORE storing for the summer. This way your bases are clean and waxed for the absolute best protection from the summer humidity.
2) Store your skis and / or snowboard standing upright in a rack in a dry area. DO NOT store skis or boards hanging from their tips in a rack over the summer. This can harm them. Basements are fine if a dehumidifier is present or basement is dry.
See Ski/snowboard Racks
3) Bindings should be cleaned of all dirt, salt and grime with water. Board bindings should be stored in the buckled position. DO NOT REDUCE the tension on ski bindings.
4) Boots should be cleaned thoroughly and liners should be completely dry. Then store your boots with soles flat on a shelf or floor. Buckles should be buckled and laces should be laced. A loose fitting plastic grocery bag can be put over your boots to keep out dust.
5) NEVER store your gear in a ski or boot bag! Bags are designed to keep out moisture when transporting. But they also keep in moisture when storing. This allows edges to rust and boots to mildew
Follow these guidelines and you will get extra years and better performance from your equipment.
Ski and Snowboard Clothing Summer Storage
I know you know that all of your snowboard clothing should be cleaned before it is stored in a dry location. But I have a couple tips that will extend your clothing performance.
Read the manufactures laundering recommendations and NEVER use fabric softener. Yes, your Downy or Snuggle will make your base layers and socks smell better and feel softer, but it will also prevent absorbency. And that is what your base layers and socks are supposed to do; absorb and wick away perspiration.
Jackets and pants manufacture laundering recommendations should also be followed and we highly recommend the NIKWAX Fabric Care Kit. Tech Wash® is a non-detergent cleaner for outdoor clothing and gear. Tech Wash’s gentle action lifts out dirt and revitalizes all water-repellent finishes. Recommended for Gore-Tex®, Ultrex®, Entrant®, Permatex® and eVENT® fabrics. NIKWAX’s TX.DIRECT®. Wash-in waterproofing for wet weather clothing is a water based waterproofing which restores and improves water-repellency and maintains breathability. Also see NikWax TX-direct spray on waterproofing.